HEATAINER® S.L.I.M - Removable Insulation with PYROGEL Core
Advance Thermal Corp. is proud to introduce a new addition to its HEATAINER®
family of products, a revolutionary removable/reusable insulation cover - S.L.I.M. (Super Light Insulation Matrix) - incorporating as a minimum, double layers of PYROGEL®
, (from the NANO line of products), as an insulation core. PATENT # US 7,947,354 B2. View a PDF Flier »
What Is An Aerogel?
- Aerogels are nano-porous solids invented in the 1930’s.
- Aerogels are created when silica is gelled in a solvent.
- When the solvent is removed, what remains is “puffed-up sand”, with up to 99% porosity.
- Nano-porosity slows heat and mass transport, providing record-low thermal conductivity.
- Twin Aspen Innovations moved aerogels from lab curiosity to a high-volume industrial product.
- Aspen’s supercritical CO2 extraction process reduces cycle time from months to hours.
- Casting the wet gel into a fibrous batting provides mechanical integrity.
Aerogels Have the Lowest k-Value of Any Industrial Insulation
Thickness Comparison at Equal R-Values
Pyrogel has Many Benefits on Hot Process Equipment
- Industry’s best k-value saves energy with 2-5X less material.
- Greater space efficiency.
- Lighter and easier to handle covers.
- Insulation productivity.
- Shop or field fabrication.
- Very fast in 1 & 2 ply designs.
- Single-man installs.
- Good in difficult-to-access areas.
- Greater in-service durability.
- Durably hydrophobic (does not retain water).
- Will not crack, crumble or sag.
- Reduces cladding, banding and vapor barrier costs.
- Packed volume reduced 5-10X.
- Less scrap, trucking and storage.
- Single part number simplifies logistics and planning.
- Excellent fire protection.
Proven Applications for Pyrogel in Hydrocarbon Processing
Pyrogel is Mechanically Robust and Tolerates Abuse
Pyrogel will withstand higher compressive loads (i.e. tool strikes, footfall, etc) with minimal degradation and less damage to the cladding.
Summary and Conclusions - Advantages to the Owner/Operator
- Greater energy savings.
- Pyrogel’s k-value lowers the heat loss.
- Pyrogel’s durability keep it in place.
- Reduced maintenance costs.
- Pyrogel resists fracture, crumbling & sag.
- Durable hydrophobicity resists damage due to liquid water and humidity.
- Pyrogel helps prevent denting of the cladding by providing stiffer support.
- Excellent fire properties.
- Class “A"”material.
- Can reduce damage and hasten plant recovery after a fire event.
- Lighter weight.
- Lighter blankets, (50-60% lighter than the ones made with Mat or Cerawool) reduces stress on pipe racks and fittings.
- Better access in confined spaces.
Pyrogel is Doped with a Hydrophobic Agent
The hydrophobic agent helps make Pyrogel resistant to moisture, allowing it to shed water.
ABOVE: Droplets of water bead-up on top of sections of Pyrogel, reacting to the hydrophobic agent.
During Hurricane Katrina, an Aerogel-insulated pipe was flooded with sea water. Once the waters receded, the pipeline was drained, dried and re-tested. No degradation was found. The pipe was subsequently sealed and put into service off the coast of Africa.
Standard Testing for Pyrogel 6350
||Hot Plate Thermal Conductivity
||Confirmation of Aspen Data
||Thermal Conductivity on Hot Pipe
||Confirmation of Aspen Data
||Linear Shrinkage - Coupon Test
||Continuous Use Temperature
||0.5% Shrinkage @ 662°F
||Water Vapor Sorption
||Completed / Low
||Weight Gain Low
||Complete / Non-Wicking
||Rigidity Classification Test
||Resilient and Flexible
||Complete / No Growth
||Complete / Sound Reduction
||Surface Burning Fire Test
||Class A Rating / No Fuel Contribution
||No Combustibility Test
||Rapid Rise HC Fire Test
||Excellent Performance / 60 min Achieved